A restaurant work injury compensation settlement has been agreed between a student, who was burned by hot oil and the Chinese takeaway he was employed at.
The work injury compensation case, which was being heard at the High Court, was told that the young man suffered burns when he unknowingly sat on a bucket of freshly discarded hot oil.
The High Court was told that the young man, Umesh Maharjan, was working to finance his studies in Fine Arts when he suffered the devastating injuries as the oil fell on his back and arm. Umesh experienced significant pain and sustained “grossly disfiguring” scars and wounds.
A native of Kathmandu, Nepal, Mr Maharjan was working at the Rathnew Chinese Takeaway in County Wicklow in order to support his time in University. Mr Maharjan (29), who lives at Dock Road, Limerick, submitted his restaurant employee injury compensation action against Rathnew Restaurant and Takeaway Ltd as a result of the accident in which he was burned with hot oil on August 21, 2015.
Senior Counsel Declan Doyle, legal representative for Mr Maharjan, told the High Court that he was taking a break at the back of the takeaway in an area where plastic buckets were kept for storage. A different member of the restaurant staff had placed a bucket of hot cooking oil from a deep-fat fryer there, unbeknownst to Mr Maharjan, and he sat on top of upon it. When he did so the lid shifted and he (Mr Maharajan) fell backwards and the oil fell all over his back and left arm.
Due to the accident Mr Maharjan suffered significant injuries and burns that will stay with him for the rest of his life. His colleagues came to help him when the accident occurred and used water to cool the areas of his body that were burned before taking him to hospital.
Justice Michael Hanna was told by legal representatives that the issue of liability had been withdrawn and the case was before the court for assessment of damages. Mr Doyle SC told that Justice Hanna that the case had been settled and could be dismissed.