The Irish Cancer Society has also revealed that it is making emergency funding for an extra 500 counselling sessions in their centres across the country. The Society made this announcement in order to alleviate some of the worry among those impacted by the controversy.
In tandem with this the Government has announced that a cervical smear test will be provided for free to everyone who is worried after the recent revelations in the CervicalCheck scandal.
This offer is being made available to ease the concern associated with the revelations of the incorrect cervical smear test results being discovered. This provision of this service being revealed come after a meeting of senior doctors who sought to address the concerns over the confidence in the CervicalCheck Screening programme was held.
Following a cancer misdiagnosis settlement of €2.5m was announced for Ms Vicky Phelan last week, the CervicalCheck Scandal came to public attention. Ms Phelan had a cervical smear in 2011 that showed no signs associated with the early stages of cervical cancer. In 2014 a subsequent audit on the results was carried out that indicated the results of that 2011 test were false. Ms Phelan was not advised of this error until 2017 and she now had cervical cancer. In January 2018 she was told that she has just 12 months to live. It was claimed, during the legal action, that her chances of survival would have been 90% if the cancer had been correctly diagnosed in 2011.
The following Support Centres are funding by The Irish Cancer Society nationwide and will be able to provide free professional counselling:
- ARC Cancer Support Centres, Dublin
- Arklow Cancer Support Group, Wicklow
- Balbriggan Cancer Support Centre
- Ballinasloe Cancer Support Centre
- Cancer Support Sanctuary, LARCC
- Cois Nore, Kilkenny Cancer Support Centre
- Cork ARC Cancer Support House
- Cuan Cancer Social Support and Wellness Group, Co Cavan
- Cúisle Centre, Portlaoise
- Dochas Offaly Cancer Support, Tullamore
- Donegal Cancer Flights & Services
- Eist, Carlow Cancer Support Centre
- Gary Kelly Cancer Support, Drogheda
- Greystones Cancer Support
- Hope Cancer Support Centre, Enniscorthy
- Letterkenny Donegal– administered through Sligo Cancer Support
- Mayo Cancer Support Association, Castlebar
- Midwestern Cancer Foundation, Limerick
- Recovery Haven Cancer Support House, Tralee
- Roscommon Cancer Support Centre
- Sligo Cancer Support Centre
- Solas Cancer Support Centre, Waterford
- Suaimhneas Cancer Support Centre, Nenagh
- Tallaght Cancer Support Group, Dublin
- Tuam Cancer Care Centre